Sunday, February 2, 2014

I sometimes get my views of such rarities as the hands of English monarchs at the Huntington Library


The Diary Home Archive Summary 1893 Introduction Letters Encyclopedia All categories Map Family tree In-Depth Articles Site News Recent Activity auction plus About About this site About the text FAQ Annotation guidelines Email and RSS Supporting this site User Log in Register
Up, and after doing some business at the office , I to London, and there, in my way, at my old oyster shop in Gracious Streete , bought two barrels of my fine woman of the shop, who is alive after all the plague , which now is the first observation or inquiry we make at London concerning everybody we knew before it. So to the ‘Change , where very busy with several people, and mightily glad to see the ‘Change so full, and hopes of another abatement still the next week. Off the ‘Change I went home with Sir G. Smith to dinner, sending for one of my barrels of oysters, which were good, though come from Colchester , where the plague hath been so much. Here a very brave dinner, though no invitation; and, Lord! to see how I am treated, auction plus that come from so mean a beginning, is matter of wonder to me. But it is God’s auction plus great mercy to me, and His blessing upon my taking pains, and being punctual in my dealings. After dinner Captain Cocke and I about some business, and then with my other barrel of oysters auction plus home to Greenwich , sent them by water to Mrs. Penington , while he and I landed, and visited Mr. Evelyn , where most excellent discourse with him; among other things he showed me a ledger of a Treasurer of the Navy, his great grandfather , just 100 years old; which I seemed mighty fond of, and he did present auction plus me with it, which I take as a great rarity; and he hopes to find me more, older than it. He also shewed us several letters of the old Lord of Leicester’s , in Queen Elizabeth’s time, under the very hand-writing of Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Mary , Queen of Scotts; and others, very venerable names. But, Lord! how poorly, methinks, they wrote in those days, and in what plain uncut paper. Thence, Cocke having sent for his coach, we to Mrs. Penington, and there sat and talked and eat our oysters with great pleasure, and so home to my lodging late and to bed. 16 Annotations
*** auction plus I must be the only person in my New England-born family who loathes shellfish...All I can think of with Sam's oyster party is that episode of "Mad Men" with Roger Sterling and Don Draper challenging each other over platters of oysters.
"He also shewed us several letters of the old Lord of Leicester s, in Queen Elizabeth auction plus s time, under the very hand-writing of Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Mary, Queen of Scotts; and others, very venerable names. But, Lord! how poorly, methinks, they wrote in those days, and in what plain uncut paper." I'm envious of Sam having seen in real life letters, etc from the great Queens themselves - what an honour. I wonder if the reference to the poor writing is what they actually wrote or how they penned their correspondence. auction plus I wonder if these letters are held anywhere now? Maybe in a museum or maybe the Royal household? Someone on this site probably knows - I'll check back after lunch and see if any of our illustreous annotators auction plus has any idea.
Miss Ann, L&M say these are probably Rawlinson MSS A 200 (1562-3) or A 202 (1573-4) auction plus in the Bodleian Library at Oxford http://www.ouls.ox.ac.uk/bodley A list of the eight other volumes auction plus of Gonson's accounts Pepys owned ca. 1689 is in D 794 folio 1r.
I sometimes get my views of such rarities as the hands of English monarchs at the Huntington Library http://www.huntington.org/LibraryDiv/LibraryHom... in my home town; of course there are other rare book libraries.
"He also shewed us several letters of the old Lord of Leicester s, in Queen Elizabeth s time, under the very hand-writing of Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Mary, Queen of Scotts; and others, very venerable auction plus names. ..."
"Evelyn had inherited these from his wife's great grandfather, Sir. Richard Browne (d. 1604) who appears to have entered public service through the patronage of Robert Dudley, Ist Earl of Leicester (d. 1598). ... In 1681 Evelyn lent to Pepys these and other Elizabethan state papers in his possession, and never asked for them back: ... They are still in the Pepys Library in three large MS. volumes ('Original Papers of State', PL 2502-4), each volume inscribed on the title-page: 'The Gift of my hond. & learned Friend John Evelyn Esqre of Says-Court.' They are calendared in Historical Manuscripts Commission 'Pepys': see esp. pp. 96-7, 177, 182."
L&M note Rawlinson MSS A 200 (1562-3) or A 202 (1573-4) in connection with the Naval Ledger(s) only. The catalogue / finding aids for The Rawlinson MS have yet to be placed on the web, for a collection level description see: http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/onl...
http://www.handwriting.org/archives/98may_01.html
Oyster Consumpt

No comments:

Post a Comment